Her eyebrows raised; her soft brown eyes, annoyed,
"Why do you keep feeding those American ducks, when none of your American neighbors do?"
"They are not American ducks mother; they are Canadian geese. They're not even Canadian; they're God's Geese! Some of my neighbors will feed them, but not everyday like I do...-it's part of the culture; everyone has to take care of himself. They don't like them because they can sometimes cause traffic to stop...They are as foreign as you and I; only, they don't require a visa to come here...They just fly in!"
"Yes, but you spend so much money on that bird seed!"
"They are God's creatures mother. I'm sure God will have someone spend money on my food when I'm starved...And he has, through people, just like my neighbors. Although, when our people starved through American-imposed sanctions, I don't think it's because they didn't feed the ducks...Maybe they didn't feed the right ducks...It's all about whom you feed..."
"So you're feeding the ducks so that you don't starve..."
"No, I'm feeding the ducks because they are hungry. Those Marasmus tummies looked hungry too...According to the average Mid-Western mentality, though... maybe 'over bloated'. Yes, that kid must have swallowed lotsa oil..After all, it's floating in pools all over the place, out there, isn't it?!"
"Are you delirious? I thought you had outgrown your senseless gibberish!"
"How else, can I attract your love and attention, mother?"
"Maybe I'm feeding the Canadian geese all the food those children over there, never got; all the food I could never get through to them...Maybe it's my guilt complex...But they do look happy mother...Lets enjoy their joy of sustenance, mother, before we are deprived of our own through some unknown future sanctions!"

Popular posts from this blog

That Morning